Convert video files to MP3 format using VLC
Sometimes it's useful to convert a video file to an mp3 to take with on a portable player or to just listen to the audio without the video. Today we look at how to use VLC Media Player (v1.1.11)
to convert video formats to mp3. Download VLC for free from videolan.org
1. Open VLC and from the menu select Media | Convert / Save..
2. In the Open Media window, click on the Add button and browse to the location of the video file to convert. Once it's selected, click the Convert / Save button..
3. The Convert window opens showing the source path and file name of the video file to be converted. Under the Destination file: field, type in the name of the new file
(usually the same file name with an .mp3 extension). Unless otherwise specified, the .mp3 file will be created in the same directory as the source file...
4. Then as show above, click on the small square button far right, to Create a new profile (the profile creation part needs only to be completed once).
4a. In the Form window under the Encapsulation tab, type in a new profile name (Video to MP3), then select WAV..
4b. Under the Audio Codec tab choose the codec (mp3), choose a Bitrate (192), and click the Save button.
5. Click the Profile button and select the new profile name (Video to MP3). Finally click the Start button..
Note that for subsequent conversions, it is only necessary to choose the source file, the destination .mp3 file and the newly made 'Video to MP3' profile, as shown above.
VLC Keyboard Shortcuts