Part 1. Creating the Linux Network Install Boot Disk
There are a number of methods for installing Red Hat Linux, the more common being from the bootable installation CD. This article shows how to install Red Hat 7.1 from an FTP Server containing the installation files.
[1.39M] from the TSM archives and download it to a directory on the hard disk. Double click on this self-extracting zip file and extract the files rawrite.exe
. Open a command prompt window logged onto the same directory and type the following:
rawrite -f bootnet.img -d a:
Installing Red Hat Linux 7.1 from a boot disk
Insert Linux boot floppy and reboot computer. Press ENTER to start..
- Choose a language - ENTER for "English"
- Keyboard Type - ENTER for "US"
- Installation Method - ARROW down to "FTP", ENTER
- Configure TCP/IP - SPACEBAR for "Use Dynamic IP..", TAB to OK, ENTER
- FTP Setup - FTP Site Name: Type 172.25.72.168 [ENTER]
- Red Hat Directory: . [yes, literally a full-stop]
- Tab to OK [ENTER] - [DON'T check "Use non-anonymous ftp"]
All being well, you will find yourself looking at the Linux setup screen. Proceed with the installation